JV Boys Basketball takes trophy in Big Sandy Tournament

Back to Article
Back to Article

JV Basketball wins the championship of the Big Sandy tournament with a win against Hughes Springs.

Susan Duncan

Susan Duncan

Susan Duncan

Trevor Holton, Reporter

Varsity boys’ basketball will face 4-A Palestine Wildcats at 6 p.m., Dec. 15, in Palestine in a varsity-only matchup. The Sabine varsity is coming off a second-place finish in the Big Sandy tournament. Sporting a season record of 10-3, the team is led by head coach Colby Carr, a new addition to the Sabine staff this year. With a new coach comes new expectations.

“Overall, I’ve been surprisingly pleased at the kids’ willingness to buy into what we want them to do,” Carr said. “It’s not easy; it takes a lot of toughness, and I have not been disappointed.”

The JV boys basketball team declared victory at the Big Sandy tournament by taking first place with wins over Winnsboro Thursday and Rivercrest Saturday morning.  The Sabine JV won final championship honors with a 63-48 decision over Hughes Springs Saturday night.

“I thought they played extremely hard and showed some poise,” Carr said. “It was the first time they had really been tested this season with the first close game all year.”

In that same tournament, the varsity defeated Alba-Golden, 52-30. They also beat Celeste, 56-50; Celeste was ranked in the latest 2A poll, and the loss to Sabine was their first this season. Senior Will Shawn had 20 points in that game.

However, on Saturday, the first place trophy eluded them as they finished the tournament with a 48-40 loss to T.K. Gorman, a private school in Tyler. Senior Nathan Willis’ 14 points led the Cardinals, while Eylan Goodwin managed a double-double in defeat, finishing with 10 points and 10 boards.

“We didn’t win, so we didn’t do what we set out to do,” Carr said. “But I felt like we competed the right way– we played the game hard, and we played the game clean. It was a bad game to be cold as ice.”

Susan Duncan
Eylan Goodwyn battles to make a layup in the Big Sandy tournament.

About the Writer
Trevor Holton, Videographer

My name is Trevor Holton, and this is my second year in AV Production working for our school's online newspaper, also known as Cardinal Connection. I'm...