Big win for Cardinals

JV football beat Mineola Oct. 25, 48-0, at a muddy home game. Sophomore Kaden Manning fights to get in the endzone after a catch.  JV and varsity were on a roll in the middle of the season with some big wins.

Hannah Baldwin

JV football beat Mineola Oct. 25, 48-0, at a muddy home game. Sophomore Kaden Manning fights to get in the endzone after a catch. JV and varsity were on a roll in the middle of the season with some big wins.

As the Cardinals face off against Mineola tonight on the turf at Mineola High School, the big win against state-ranked West Rusk Oct. 19, 23-7, is still on their minds. Winning tonight would cement a playoff berth for the Cardinals.

Coach Rex Sharp had said the team needed a big win in the West Rusk game, and he got his wish.

“Nobody picked us, and I understand why,” head coach Rex Sharp said in the Longview News-Journal, “but we were pretty confident going in that we could do some things that gave us a chance to win.”

Sabine held West Rusk to zero offensive points with their only score coming on a defensive play. Senior Kobe Renfro piled up 10 tackles along with nine each for Brannigan Willige and Ty Francisco. Asher Foster had seven.

Clayton Simmons recovered two fumbles with Tanner Foster and Braeden Perry adding one apiece.

On offense, Landon McKinney rushed for 104 yards and a pair of touchdowns and passed for 144 yards and another score. Tucker Gabriel caught four passes, and A.J. Gresham had five catches.

For their impressive feat, KLTV Sports director Michael Coleman presented them with the Game Ball Wednesday afternoon in the gym.

“It felt good that we started changing the Sabine football culture, and we were excited to get the game ball,” junior Mikel Johnson said.

CBS 19 also featured the team on its sportscast Monday.

As a warm-up for the Mineola varsity game Friday, JV stomped on Mineola JV in a mud bowl, Oct. 25, 40-0.