Softball goes 1-1 on season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Softball goes 1-1 on season

Senior Calleigh King waits to get a sign from her third base coach in the Canton game.

Hannah Baldwin

Hannah Baldwin

Hannah Baldwin

Mikel Johnson, Reporter

The softball season is getting underway, and the Cardinals have played two games and are 1-1 on the season with a loss to Ore City, 2-8, to start the season on Feb. 8 followed by an 18-8 win against Carlisle Feb. 12. Their next game is Feb. 19 at home against Marshall.

“The season is going great, and I am excited to see where the season will take us,” Coach Molly Mackey said.

The girls had a big fourth inning against Carlisle, posting 12 runs in that inning. The team was led by senior Calleigh King who scored four runs on three hits and sophomore Blaire Kaufman who scored three runs on three hits. Collectively, the team’s batting average was .462 with several players scoring two runs.

According to Coach Mackey, the teams’ hardest competition is West Rusk and Harmony.

“West Rusk and Harmony will have solid teams this year, so we will have to be totally focused and prepared for those games,” she said.

Although the new softball field being built next to campus is underway, Mackey said that it will not be ready to play on this season. The team will still play at the facility on FM 1252.

About the Writer
Mikel Johnson, Reporter

My name is Mikel and I like to play football, and sometimes baseball.