FFA members bring back awards from Harvest Festival

Seniors+Sonny+Whalen+and+Caden+Loveless+pose+for+a+picture+in+front+a+cattle+guard+they%2C+along+with+senior+Coltin+Reed+%28not+pictured%29%2C+worked+on.++

Jonathan Martinez

Seniors Sonny Whalen and Caden Loveless pose for a picture in front a cattle guard they, along with senior Coltin Reed (not pictured), worked on.

Jonathan Martinez, Writer

FFA members competed at the Harvest Festival in the Rusk County Expo Center Oct. 20-24 and placed in eight out of the 12 events.     

“I’m proud of these young men and women,”  FFA sponsor Ben Swain said. “As a whole they won sweepstakes reserve champion, which is really good because they were facing bigger schools from all over East Texas.” 

Senior Caden Loveless made a concealed table with his brother, freshman Connor Loveless. They won a blue ribbon at the contest.  

“I really love seeing the progress I make when making these things,”  Loveless said.

Juniors Ronaldo Guerrero and Joe Farrell welded a wood rack and received a blue ribbon.

“It was easy to build,“ Guerrero said. “I was surprised when we got a blue ribbon because I thought we could have done better on the final result.” 

Other awards at the event included seniors Sonny Whalen and Coltin Reed were named Grand Champion in their class, sophomore Hunter Richardson received second place in his class with the entry gate, seniors Caden Loveless and Kaleb Stewart received third place in their class, sophomores Thomas Barker and Roy Vestal received third place for a 6 ft. box blade, sophomores Adan Martinez and Dalton Redmon were named Reserve Champion in fire pit cooking division, juniors Carter Patterson and Mason Bradshaw were named Grand Champion in the wildlife division, senior Robert Crosby received a red ribbon in picnic table division and seniors Cameron Keel and Hayden Sheppard received a red ribbon for their livestock entry gate.