Cross country teams win district, compete in Lindale meet

Jason Heffner

At the district cross country meet, the boys team show off their first place plague Oct. 11.

Zuleidy Lara, Writer

The boys and girls varsity cross country runners won the title of district champions, with the boys winning their sixth straight district championship. The meet was hosted in Mt. Pleasant on Oct. 11, and the teams ran up against other district 15-3A schools.

The girls cross country team gather together at the district cross country meet. The girls won first place team in district. (Jason Heffner)

“I was pretty confident about winning the race,” freshman Robert Chubboy said. “We placed first place overall as a team, and I was pretty happy that I placed 19th place out of 44 runners.”

Sophomore Kevin Maldonado was the runner-up for district, senior Caleb Cox placed 4th, senior Oscar Gonzalez placed 11th, freshman Anthony Aguilar placed 13th, freshman Francisco Perez placed 17th, freshman Robert Chubboy placed 19th and freshman Randy Rodriguez placed 20th. Sophomore Daynne Trevino placed 3rd, sophomore Emma Logan placed 4th, sophomore Flor Garcia placed 9th, sophomore Kooper Bogenschutz placed 12th, junior Hailey Aguilar placed 14th, sophomore Greta Chubboy placed 19th and junior Reese Rutland placed 28th. 

“The course was very difficult, but I managed to overcome it, and the hard work paid off,” Chubboy said. 

In the week before district, the boys and girls varsity and JV cross country teams competed at the Lindale Eagle Invitational Meet against over 200 runners Oct. 7. 

“The course was very difficult and hot, but I couldn’t stop,” Trevino said. “I had to keep going.”

For the boys varsity team, Maldonado placed 28th, Cox placed 53rd and Gonzalez placed 79th. For the girls varsity team, Trevino placed 41st and Logan placed 94th. In the JV divisions, freshman Matthew Howland placed 63rd out of 181 runners, and Garcia placed 46th out of 139 runners.

“Our girls did an amazing job running this difficult course where there were lots of holes, rocks and where many got injured,” Trevino said. “Overall, I think we make a pretty good team.” 

Both the girls and boys cross country teams will compete at the regional meet in Dallas on Oct. 26.